Sunday, January 13, 2013

Recipe: Paleo Quiche Crust

I love quiche. I mean really, eggs, meat, veggies, and cheese (for me), placed into an awesome crust and eaten like the world's greatest pie, breakfast, lunch or dinner? Awesome.   But, going wheat-free suddenly meant quiche was no longer easy (Ok, quiche was never easy, but now... infinitely more difficult). I found a recipe that used only almond flour and eggs, but it was way, way too dense.  I decided to experiment, and I'm pretty darn close. Try it out, and as always, I welcome feedback!

Ingredients


  • 1/2 Cup almond flour
  • 3/4 Cup coconut flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted, plus more for pan
  • 1/4 Cup water
Preheat oven to 375.  Grease your quiche/pie pan well with coconut oil. Mix the almond flour and coconut flour until blended. Add in coconut oil, egg and egg white. Mix together. Add water and combine into dough. Most likely, you will need to press this together with your hands.   Put dough mixture into pan. Using (very) wet hands, press dough into pan until desired thickness. You should be able to get this fairly thin, covering the bottom and sides of the pan. Usually I run my hands under running water and then press a small section to the appropriate thinness.  Bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes.


-At this point, you add your quiche ingredients to your pan. I find everyone has their own recipe, but in general, I use 6 eggs, 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped, 1 Cup chopped broccoli, 1/2 shredded sharp white cheddar (I love Cabot! Naturally gluten and lactose free), and mix in water or coconut milk to make the eggs a bit more fluffy.  Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the center is set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment