Thursday, July 10, 2014

Carbs Make Me Happy...

Let's start today with a dose of honesty. I've been feeling pretty down. Well, really down. Like, I'll spend half a day feeling motivated to charge charge, choose my own, happiness, all that ish that's splattered on Twitter and Pinterest and whatnot. And then something will happen, sometimes as insignificant as feeling bored at work, and I'm spiraling down the drain of hopelessness.

I don't know if it's a weird side result of the diet. I heard somewhere that people on Whole 30 can feel down and cranky without enough carbs.  And, full disclosure, we had one cheat meal that included white potatoes... I was very happy the next day. Until something crazy happened at work of course. 

But, when you're marathon training and you feel blue, what do you do? Run in the morning, before you've got a chance to be blue of course! Some days, this doesn't work. Today for example, I woke to my alarm after having barely slept. It wasn't even an argument that getting another hour of sleep would be helpful, while trying to run my planned 4 miles on no sleep would probably be detrimental. But of course I am now sitting here with my coffee absolutely berating myself for being a lazy loser.

Training is going OK despite everything else. My long run last week (a whole 6 miles) was a bit of a struggle, but..  it's been humid, and I haven't used an electrolyte replacement, I'm Whole 30, so I haven't used any real fuel, and well, sometimes bad runs just happen. 

Crosstraining has been going a bit better than the running. I'm seeing definition in my face, and my legs look noticeably stronger, which I know will help.   I also feel, well, cleaner. I'm ready for more potatoes, but I'm not sure that I'll go back to my old way of eating. Not completely anyway. I haven't missed dairy or sugar at all, so while the occasional gluten-free pizza, or honey in a recipe, will be enjoyed, I think I want to treat it more as a treat than a staple. I am eager to try certain foods though, and can't wait to say "adios!" to sweet potatoes!

Yesterday's workout:

- 1 mile warmup run

- Wendler bench press (deload week): 3x5 at 35, 40, 45

- 3 rounds: 30 second plank, 30 second side plank each side

- 4 rounds:  5 incline pushups, 10 lunges, 10 box jumps

What are you training for?  How does food effect your mood?

No comments:

Post a Comment