Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pick It Up and Put It Down...

Last post, I hinted that my training was changing course for a bit. I think strength training is extremely important to athletes. I still don't want to go completely to CrossFit with my husband, but I like to use many of the same moves. I don't mind kettlebell swings, hate burpees (like everyone), enjoy box jumps, deadlifts, hang cleans, etc. My training plan for the Monumental Marathon officially kicks off on June 15, and it starts light, so I gave my husband 6 weeks of free control, as long as I can still run a minimum of 3 miles, 3 times per week.

So. He has me doing a Wendler Cycle. We're doing deadlifts, squats, bench presses, and shoulder presses. Step 1 was to test my one-rep max so we could map out the rest of the cycle.

Lifting around my husband involves an embarrassingly high level of grumbling and pouting. He critiques my form and I get crabby. He pushes me too hard and I basically throw a 29-year-old tantrum. Yeah... it's fun.  But, God bless him, he doesn't give up on me. I guess it's nothing worse than 19-year-old Privates in the Army threw at him.

My 1-rep max as of May 7:
Squat: 80
Bench Press: 75
Deadlift: 125
Shoulder Press: 55

I was bummed because my deadlift is down 10 pounds from last summer, but hey... I barely lifted since last summer. We have a great garage gym setup with squat rack, bench, bar, box, etc. all from Rogue Fitness. Can't recommend them enough. High quality gear and made in the USA! Dear Husband has never let me off easy... "my" kettlebell is 35 pounds, our bar is 45, and the lightest dumbbells we have are 20. I'm a firm believe that women should lift heavy. Your purse weighs more than your 5 pound dumbbell, so how on earth will that get you fit??

So...  for the next 4 weeks, I'll be lifting 4 days per week. And running 3 days per week. I'll double-up on Thursdays, so my new training schedule...

Monday: Squat
Tuesday: Run 3-4 miles
Wednesday: Bench Press
Thursday: Run 3-4 miles, Deadlift
Friday: Shoulder Press
Saturday: Run 3-6 miles
Sunday: Rest

Coach Husband swears to me I'll see advances in my 1-rep max and in my running. And I definitely won't stop lifting during marathon training. Strong legs are a big help when your mind is ready to give up.

So now I will pick some things up, and then put them down. And then do it again and again.


Do you weight lift while running? How do you cross train? 

No comments:

Post a Comment