Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Quick Look Back at 2013...

I'm going to keep this quick, and avoid all the introspective, "I learned this about myself and life and stuff" blah-blah-blah-ing. I've never liked to look back. You can't change what already happened, all you can do is change where you go from here. In keeping with this mindset, I'm going to give you a brief review, and the next post will be where I'd like to go from here.

2013 was the year I started running. January 11, 2013 to be precise. I ran my first 5k in Detroit on March 10, my first half marathon in Indianapolis on May 4, with two more half marathons, a 10k, and another 5k thrown in. After a 5 miler today, I clocked in at 603 miles for the year.

I discovered so much about my will to finish, my ability to be defeated, products I love, products that don't work, how to eat gluten-free, and more. I had 3 different jobs and a period of hopelessness that felt like it lasted forever. I had a basement flood, a water heater bust, an oven go out, and redid my kitchen.

I found an amazing running community on Twitter, faced a diagnosis of Parkinson's in a family member, and started a fundraiser. I smashed some goals, faltered on others, and set new ones.

I can't say 2013 was a good year, but all things considered, it certainly wasn't the worst. In so many ways though, the 'New Year' feels so arbitrary. Yes, we flip the page. Heck, we flip the whole calendar. But if you're like me and use the right kind of planner, you get to flip the page every single day. It's easy to break our goals into the new year, to use the changing year as motivation, but really, we are moving forward each minute and each day.

So, sayonara 2013, welcome 2014, I've got some plans for you...


Workout of the Day: 5 mile run


Song of the Day: "Dancing by Myself" - Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment