Saturday, June 22, 2013

Recipe: Paleo Maple Balsamic Steak Salad

Hey! Summer finally arrived! I guess it's not fair to say "finally". Technically, it arrived right on time, on the first day of summer. Nice mild start... June 21, bam! high 80s!

The warm temps lent themselves to a couple things...  First, that first time you go run in the 80-degree weather? Yuck!! I planned for 5 miles. Then I planned for 4 miles. Then I got out there, wanted to pass out after 1.5 miles, finished up 2 miles and started walking. But I did not wimp out. Go me! Since I was still 2 miles from home, I finished my route by doing 8 rounds of 30 second sprints with a minute and a half of walking. Yes, I was smoked.

The other perk of the newly-found heat? Don't make me turn on my oven!!!  Don't trap me inside! Seriously, summer comes around, and it just feels... right to grill.

But what could I grill? I had thawed a grass-fed London Broil for a different recipe, and we had just received our Door-to-Door Organics delivery... Grilled steak salad!

Ingredients

Dressing                                                              Marinade
-1/4 C. balsamic vinegar                                      -1/2 C. balsamic vinegar
-1/2 C. maple syrup                                             -1/2 C. maple syrup
-1 Tbsp. dijon mustard                                         -1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
-1 tsp. garlic powder                                            -1/2 tsp. garlic powder
-dash salt/pepper                                                  -dash salt/pepper
-1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
-2/3 C. olive oil

Salad
-1/2 (or more) red onion, sliced
-2 (or more) pears, peeled, cored and sliced
-1 pound London Broil
-1/2 C. walnut pieces
-2-3 C. desired lettuce (we had a mix of kale, green leaf, and arugula)

First, mix the marinade ingredients. Place steak in a large bag or container, pour marinade over. Let sit in fridge for at least 2 hours (mine sat 5 hours).

Add all the dressing ingredients and mix until well blended. Let cool in the fridge until the salad is done.

Toast your walnut pieces at 375 for 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

Heat up your grill!  I found some grill toppers designed for veggies, and highly recommend using them so your pears and onions don't fall through the grill. Once the grill is hot, add your steak. At the same time, put on your onion slices. Cook the steak to your desire level of doneness. I cooked 5 minutes on one side and 8 on the other.

Add the pears approximately 5 minutes after the steak and onions. 'Stir' the pears and onions at least once.  Be sure to let the steak stand at least 5 minutes before slicing.



Slice the steak, add all your ingredients together, top with dressing. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment