Thursday, March 28, 2013

Recipe: Paleo Beef and Broccoli

Seems like a lot of CrossFit peeps are starting up Paleo challenges. I keep seeing it pop up in my Twitter feed, and it dawned on me that I have a fantastically easy, and delicious recipe to share! Why I've never shared this before, I don't know. It was almost Paleo right from the start...

I call it Pepper Steak because that's what my mom called it. But it tastes like Beef with Broccoli, or some other delicious Chinese food dish, just without the creepy stuff that sneaks into the sauces. You could serve this with some riced cauliflower, fruit, salad, whatever...  yum!



Beef and Broccoli

Ingredients

  • 1 lb round steak
  • 1/4 Cup oil (use coconut or olive)
  • 1/2 Cup chopped onion
  • 1 green pepper cut into bite sized slices
  • 1-2 Cups chopped broccoli
  • 1 Cup beef broth
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • Red Pepper flakes to taste
  • 1 Tbsp wheat free soy sauce or coconut aminos
  • 1-2 tsp arrowroot powder
  • 1 clove garlic or equivalent garlic powder

Directions

Cut steak into thin slices approximately two inches long. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic, allow to cook a few minutes. Add meat and cook, turning as needed, until browned.

Add onion, green pepper, broccoli, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. I usually use about 2 tsp worth, but adjust this according to your desired level of spiciness, or leave out all together.  Cook over medium heat, stirring, until vegetables are just tender. 

Blend broth and soy or aminos. Stir in arrowroot. Pour over mixture in skillet. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat, stirring constantly until sauce reached desired thickness.   (If you're like me and occasionally make your sauce too thick (arrowroot can be tricky), don't panic, just stir together a little more broth and sauce, and add it in).




2 comments:

  1. i just made this!!!! amazing :) i added shrimp and didn't use the arrowroot but i am so full writing this...please share more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! Adding shrimp sounds delicious!

      Delete